The name of Muller has long been associated with beer in Philadelphia. Members of the Muller family grew up in the Brewerytown section of the city and, beginning in the 1800s, worked in breweries and delivered beer in horse-drawn wagons. Jack Muller, the founder of Muller, Inc., started in the beer business in 1938 with the formation in Philadelphia of Holmesburg Distributing. He closed his business to serve in World War II and returned a highly decorated veteran. Opening several small operations, he reestablished himself in the industry.
In 1956, Jack formed Clement & Muller. Working out of an 11,000 square-foot facility, the new Company’s six employees sold 500,000 cases of beer a year. Under Jack Muller’s leadership, Clement & Muller became the largest distributor of Miller and Colt 45 products in the United States.
While building his business, Muller found time to give back to his community by actively participating in charitable endeavors through personal memberships and board roles. Following the death of his first wife from ALS, he established his own charitable foundation, The Muller Foundation. Through this foundation, he and his second wife, Sandra, provided the guiding hand behind the Josephine Muller Auditorium/Cafeteria at Abington Friends School, the Josephine Muller Residence for ALS Care at Chandler Hall, and the Muller Institute for Senior Health at Abington Memorial Hospital in addition to many other contributions to local and national causes.
In 1996, Sandra joined Clement & Muller. Prior to joining the Company, she owned and operated Lamb Beverage in Chester County and a restaurant in Washington, DC. Sandra, who grew up in North Philadelphia, also worked for many years in the food and restaurant industry in and around Philadelphia.
During her first five years with Clement & Muller, Sandra held a number of positions in the business. In April 2000, Jack, who was now 92 years of age, turned his company over to Sandra, his wife of thirteen years. In January 2001, Sandra renamed Clement & Muller to Muller, Inc.
In 2007, Sandy’s daughter, Chris D’Ettorre, became a shareholder in Muller, Inc. Chris comes to Muller, Inc. with over twenty years of experience in the beverage business. Today, Muller Inc.’s over 200 employees sell over 8 million cases of beer a year from the company’s modern facility. Recently, the “House that Jack Built” expanded through the construction of a climate-controlled warehouse. In addition, Muller’s satellite warehouse, located in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, is fully staffed and virtually in the center of the Bucks-Montgomery County market, to serve that market with direct and timely service.
At the start of the new millennium, Muller Inc. is still a family-owned business with a multi-generation of family members currently working. Muller takes pride in providing excellent service to the beer industry in the Philadelphia marketplace.